Botanical Name : Zingiber officinale Roscoe
Family : Zingiberaceae
Common Name : Ginger, ardraka
- Medicinal part of ginger, rhizomes have been commonly consumed as a spice and an herbal medicine since ancient times for treatment of a wide range of ailments.
- Name ‘zingiber’ is derived from the Sanskrit word ‘shringavera’, which means ‘shaped like a deer’s antlers.
- Cultivated all over tropical and subtropical Asia (50% of the world’s harvest is produced in India), ginger is used in brewing, confectionery, cosmetics, perfumes and pharmaceuticals.
- Volatile oils (sesquiterpenes), phenols, aromatic ketones (gingerols) and oleoresin.
- Zingerone and gingerols (pungency of ginger, the “burning” effect, felt in the mouth).
- Zingiberol (aromatic agent).
- Zingibain (proteolytic enzyme).
- Acts as an antispasmodic and improve the tone of intestinal muscles.
- Possesses antioxidant actions.
- Has potential anti-ulcer properties (alleviates numerous GI discomforts such as ulcers).
- Helps to stimulate the muscles of the heart to facilitate blood flow.
- May have antimicrobial activity against a broad spectrum of pathogenic microbes.
- Significantly reduces nausea and vomiting in women with hyperemesis gravidarum.
- Possesses anti-inflammatory and analgesic effects (for treatment of IBS or colic).
- Act as an immunomodulator agent by acting on cell-mediated immune response.
- Can help in management and prevention of several diseases such as cardiovascular diseases, diabetes mellitus, obesity, neurodegenerative diseases and respiratory disorders.
Dosage: 950-1000 mg daily.
- Included in GRAS list of US FDA.
- Used in Ayurveda for the treatment of colds and other viral infections, arthritis, blood purifying and aphrodisiac.
- Listed in Ayurvedic Pharmacopoeia of India, Indian Pharmacopoeia, British Pharmacopoeia, United States Pharmacopoeia and European Pharmacopoeia.
Why Botanic Healthcare Ginger Extract?
Chemical standardization to a known content of total gingerols using HPLC and gravimetry. The extract is recommended for incorporation in nutraceutical formulations intended to manage high cholesterol and maintain cardiovascular health.