Botanical Name : Styphnolobium japonicum
Family : Fabaceae
Common Name : Sophora japonica, Japanese pagoda tree, Chinese scholar tree
- One of the 50 fundamental herbs used in traditional Chinese medicine.
- It is currently recorded in both the Chinese Pharmacopoeia and European Pharmacopoeia.
The dried fruit contain the flavonoid glycosides sophoricoside, genistin and rustin and the flavonoid aglycones genistein, quercetin and kaempferol.
We have done a pilot study on the safety and efficacy of sophora japonica extract in maintaining the health of menopausal women. The sophora extract provides support with its phytoestrogen supplement properties and provides physical comfort and mood balance. It is also used to treat osteoporosis and strengthens bones.
- The fruit is an expert in stopping bleeding and lowering blood pressure.
- The flower buds and fruits of S. japonica are commonly used in Asia (especially China) to treat haemorrhoids, hematuria, uterine or intestinal haemorrhage, arteriosclerosis, headache, hypertension etc.
- It has a documented history of being used to promote vein health.
- Radical scavenging
Dosage: 10-15g per day for adults.
Botanic Healthcare provides sophora japonica extract with 10-15% sophoricoside (%w/w) by HPLC.